Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The "I amThankful" prompt in poetry club.


I am thankful for conversations over tea and coffee
Watching the steam rise from the rim of my cups as my ears inhale their words of wisdom
I am thankful for laughter the way you can see it bubble beneath suppressed lips and explode in multitudes rippling through the chest of everyone who dares to be in its presence
I am thankful for friends who aren’t afraid to cuddle
Who will accept my cold feet underneath their thighs
For text messages from my mother everyday with the countdown of how many days it will be until I can see her face again, the way she tells me that she’s keeping up on favorite TV show so that we can watch it together when I return
I am also just thankful for my mother and the way she facebook stalks any boy that I’ve ever mentioned and then tells me how cute he is
For my sister who from thousands of miles away has embarked on her own college journey and still takes the time to share new music and cute proposal videos with me
For my 38 residents
Who call me mom
Who insists on me loving them, even though I already did before I even knew their names
For my staff that encourages me in 8 different ways and reassures me than I am still somewhat sane 

No comments:

Post a Comment